Yiddish New York’s 2017 Visual Arts Exhibition
CALL FOR ART
Yiddish New York, an annual celebration of Yiddish music, language and culture, is proud to collaborate with City Lore on this year’s art exhibition, which will be held from Thursday, December 14th, 2017 to Sunday, February 25th, 2018. The exhibition will be curated by Deborah Ugoretz and Tine Kindermann. This year’s theme is RESISTANCE!
We are now inviting artists to submit work for consideration.
Resistance… a word that has urgent relevance to events past and present. The curators are inviting contemporary New York area artists to participate in a timely dialogue:
What defines resistance?
This is what the dictionary says:
1) the refusal to accept or comply with something; the attempt to prevent something by action or argument.
2) the ability not to be affected by something, especially adversely: “some of us have a lower resistance to cold than others”.
We ask: is resistance always in reaction to events or ideas? Is it always in opposition? What are expressions of resistance in daily life or under extreme circumstances? How do artists transform this concept into concrete form? What are internal and external manifestations and experiences of resistance, and how do they translate into visuals?
Since the exhibition will take place around the holiday of Hanukkah, artists may choose to interpret their understanding of the holiday which has become a symbol of Jewish resistance to a repressive regime.
December 14th, 2017-February 25th, 2018
Opening reception (and City Lore Holiday Party): Thursday, December 14th, 2017, 6pm-10pm
Closing reception and program: Sunday, February 25th, 3-6pm
City Lore Gallery
56 E. 1st Street
New York,New York 10003
Fridays 2 – 6pm, Saturdays and Sundays
12 – 6pm, and by appointment.
Please read these details carefully:
• Submission Deadline: November 10
• Notification of acceptance: December 1st
• We can only accept hand delivered artwork.
• Drop off at City Lore, December 11, 2017 10am-12 pm, 5-7pm
• Pick-up at City Lore, February 26th, 2018 10am-12 pm, 5-7 pm
• Accepted dimensions: 2d work that measures no larger than 2’.5”w x 3’h
• For 3d dimensions, and also for submission requirements for video work, please inquire at email@example.com
1. Fill out the online submission form.
2. Email jpgs to firstname.lastname@example.org. Jpegs must be sent separately. Please follow these procedures:
Save the file with your last name, first name initial and short title of work, i.e.
Smith.D.shortnameofart.jpg. Please make sure that Jpegs submitted are no more than 500kb and no larger than 1000 pixels on their largest side.
3. Click on the button below to pay the required submission fee(s). You may submit up to two works of art for $20. Additional pieces will be $5 per image. For 3d work you may submit two images for each piece at no additional charge. Please attach all images in one email.
Questions may be directed to email@example.com
Co-sponsored by City Lore